Ballet4Fitness uses a combination of ballet technique and other disciplines, i.e. yoga and Pilates. Classes are 45 minutes in length. It combines elements of ballet, pilates, yoga and strength training to give you long lean muscles. The class breaks down with a warm-up, center work, ballet barre and floor work followed by a cool down.
1. Strength and definition. When you work your thighs in a barre class, you target that muscle group from all angles. Three thigh exercises will work to fatigue the front, inner, and outer thighs, strengthening the muscles from joint to joint. The same goes for your butt, abs, arms, and back. By strengthening each muscle group thoroughly, you are not only creating amazing definition, you are also strengthening muscles that are often underused and underdeveloped.
2. Endurance. Our Ballet4Fitness class includes different types of movements, but generally most movements are known for their use of isometric contractions and small isotonic movements. In an isometric contraction, you tighten or contract the muscle without changing its length. Think plank position or those poses where you hold completely still as your legs start to quiver and shake. These contractions utilize slow-twitch muscle fibers that can increase stamina and improve your endurance.
3. Flexibility. You don’t need to be flexible to practice barre-fitness, but the amount of stretching in each class can help improve your overall range of motion and reduce your risk of injury. Tension and tightness in your muscles and the tendons around them can lead to back pain and poor posture, and can make everyday tasks like bending down to tie your shoes more difficult. Stretching out your muscles will help relieve stress and allow you to move through your day with a little more ease.
4. Posture. Core muscles are engaged throughout the entire class, and they can be used for the primary focus of an exercise or for stability as you perform a move that targets your thighs or butt. If you spend hours at the computer ballet4Fitness is ideal because it will help strengthen your core muscles and help elevate back pain that often comes from weak core muscles. As you strengthen your core, you will notice that you can sit and stand taller and your lower back will take less stress and tension throughout the day.
5. Mind-body connection. Ballet4Fitness will challenge you to not only go through the motions of the workout but to focus your thoughts on each and every tiny muscle you are working. Feel your mind starting to stray? Through years as a dance teacher at Denise’s Dance Studio I am able to give you step-by-step instructions on where to position your body while also offering hands-on corrections to adjust your alignment.